Are you worried about QuickBooks error 6189, 816? Then, don’t worry about it because this article is about how to resolve QuickBooks company file error 6189 816. From here you will learn the simple and easy steps related to this topic and also learn how to complete this process without any error. A detailed view of QuickBooks error code 6189, 816 will be seen in today’s post. Thus, you need to make sure that you read this post carefully till the end.
Before you dig deeper and know the corrections of this error, it is better to uncover the facts related to it first. QuickBooks error code 6189, 816 is basically a run-time error in the server of your computer. This can be seen when the user tries to open the company file. This problem indicates any type of error with multi-user networks and not with accounting data.
Thus, it can be solved easily. The user must ensure that he has QuickBooks file storage instructions. There may be a bunch of possible reasons for this error, which will be discussed with the determination methods below.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 6189, 816
- Missing or damaged QuickBooks components can be one major factor
- Or if the company file on a network computer is in use by a program or a process
- Also, accessibility issues with the company file of your system or folder on the QuickBooks host system can be a common factor
- In case the user mistakenly deletes the important drivers from the system needed for running QuickBooks, then this blunder could lead you to this error
- Also, if another client signed in to the company file in single-user mode, and after that, this error could be faced on your system
- In the windows registry that is any kind of error with the QuickBooks registry values
- Or if the operating system is affected with any sort of antivirus
- Damaged network data source file on the QuickBooks server or host system
- Or any kind of trouble with the QB hosting processes
And a couple of other factors might lead to this annoying error.
Procedure to Resolve QuickBooks Company File Error 6189 816
The solution given below will help you in resolving QuickBooks error 6189 816. You follow the given solution and fix this error:-
Solution 1: Download and Run QuickBooks Refresher
As a first and most step, you have to run the QuickBooks Refresher tool on the computer you are troubled by. What the QB Refresher tool does and it shuts down all background processes that may be the cause of the error. It also does a mini refresh of your program files.
- The very first step is to download the QuickBooks refresher and then install all the files from it. The user is then recommended to save the files to access them easily
- After that, keep a check whether no other task is running on the QuickBooks desktop
- The user is then recommended to check and close all the versions of QuickBooks running on the system
- And then, the user needs to double click on the QBRefresher.exe file to run the program
- Also, the QB Refresher runs in 30 seconds, the user needs to follow the onscreen instructions
- The next step is when the installation is finished, the user will have to reopen the QuickBooks desktop
Solution 2: Restart the Systems and the Servers
Sometimes full resetting of your system is the answer to the error that’s occurring. Follow these steps in order to perform a reset.
- To get started with this process, you first need to restart the server computer which is hosting your company files.
Important:- It is very much important to find out where the company file is hosted. If the user is making use of the QuickBooks enterprise hosting rather than the server system, then you can consult a professional to help you out in restarting.
- You then have to restart each workstation (all the other computer systems that are connected to the network, that do not host your company files).
- After that, open QuickBooks Desktop on your server computer.
- Followed by opening QuickBooks Desktop on each individual workstation.
Solution 3: Getting QuickBooks Database Server Manager Installed on your Server
If you host your application on your network, QuickBooks Database Server Manager is an ideal solution that can help you in keeping your multi-user network stable.
- In case you do not already have QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your server computer, the one hosting your company files, then you can easily be downloaded. Also, the QuickBooks Database Server Manager doesn’t require a product license.
- Once it’s installed, open the Windows Start Menu then search for and open QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Make sure that you update QuickBooks Database Service Manager to its latest version.
- As the update finishes, restart your server computer and open QB Desktop on your server computer as well as on all the other work stations.
Important:- Please note, that if QuickBooks Database Server Manager is installed on any one of your workstations, then make sure that, this particular workstation isn’t set to host your multi-user network.
Solution 4: Transfer your Company Files to your Local Hard Disk
If you are still storing error 6189, 816 and your company file (.QBW) is currently stored on a removable drive or online, follow these steps to transfer your files:
If you do not return it, you can still transfer your file (but we always suggest that to avoid any mishaps). Moving the entire folder will not affect your data in any way, but if some files are not done, you can restore them.
- Start by identifying the location of the file.
- If your file is open: Press F2 (or Ctrl+1) on your keyboard, and check the precise location from the File Information section.
- If the file is closed: Open QuickBooks Desktop, where you would be able to see the file path in the No Company Open window.
- Then just navigate to the desired folder and after doing a right-click select “Copy”
- Now, just paste the copied folder into your external device, be it a flash drive or a hard drive.
- Copy the files to the local drive after plugging in your device to the new computer.
- Now, when you are done then just launch QuickBooks Desktop, then open your file, and voila.
Solution 5: Renaming the TLG and ND Files
If the Log file and the Company file are incoherent, then it can cause the error, and in that case, the error can be resolved if we rename the Log file. Network Data files also facilitate QuickBooks to access files over a network, and any damage will give you the error.
When we rename the files, then QuickBooks can create new files that won’t be corrupt resolving the error. Follow the steps as provided below:
- Go to the system drive of your computer.
- Open the QuickBooks directory folder.
- Locate the files saved with extensions (.nd) and (.tlg), they will have the same names as your Company File.
- Right-click on the files individually and then click on the ‘Rename’ option.
- Add (.old) extensions to the file names and then save it.
You should ensure to enable the multi-user mode if you want to open a company file already being used by some other user. If the error persists, then you should try to repair the application through the Control Panel of your computer.
The Last Line
We have provided you the best solutions to resolve QuickBooks company file error 6189 816 in the above blog. So, you are able to resolve this error on your own. If you are still getting the same error 6189, 816 QuickBooks, quickly dial QuickBooks Error tech support number +1-844-687-2932 and connect with the QuickBooks support team.